Commercial film and television production activities, post production, VFX and animation are permitted to open in Ontario. As of Friday July 16, 2021, Ontario moved into Step 3 of the Reopening Roadmap. This roadmap replaces the previous colour coded response framework and lays out how Ontario is gradually moving towards reopening. The legislative requirements for commercial film and television filming in Ontario throughout Step 3 are as follows:
Media Industries, film and television production: Section 20.
(1) Commercial film and television production, including all supporting activities such as hair, makeup and wardrobe, may open if they comply with the following conditions:
- Persons who provide hair or makeup services must wear appropriate personal protective equipment.
- The number of members of the public permitted to be in the studio audience at any one time must not exceed 50 per cent of the usual seating capacity or 1,000 persons, whichever is less.
- The person responsible for the film or television production must post a sign in a conspicuous location visible to the public that states the studio audience capacity limits under which the production is permitted to operate.
- If there is a studio audience, the person responsible for the film or television production must prepare a safety plan in accordance with section 3.3 of Schedule 1. 5. The person responsible for the film or television production must ensure that the production operates in accordance with the guidance document titled “Film and television industry health and safety during COVID-19» issued by the Film and Television Health and Safety Advisory Committee of the Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development, as amended from time to time. (2)
For greater certainty, for the purposes of this section, the film or television set may be located in any business or place, including any business or place that is otherwise required to be closed under this Order.
You can find the full amended regulations: O. Reg. 520/21: REOPENING ONTARIO (A FLEXIBLE RESPONSE TO COVID-19) ACT, 2020, here.
The Section 21 Health and Safety Guidelines were published on Thursday June 25th 2020 and further revised on January 25, 2021.